Thursday, September 2, 2010

Barbara Lewis

Barbara Lewis is a relatively little-known soul singer who had a few charted hits in the sixties. Lack of commercial success led to her dropping from the music scene entirely but some eventual covers and inclusions on soundtracks gave her a little more pocket money in the decades to come. The Arctic Monkeys even released a cover of "Baby I'm Yours" as the b-side to "Leave Before the Lights Come On."

Her take on the Gerry Goffin/Carole King song "Don't Forget About Me" is my latest entry from the amazing One Kiss Leads to Another box set (which I can't say enough good things about) and I daresay it's a better, more soulful rendition than the version included on Dusty Springfield's fantastic Dusty in Memphis. Since I have the entire box set on my ipod and there's scores of songs I've yet to fully absorb, the play count only stood at one before I listened to this to write this post, and I like it better than Dusty's, whose classic album I've spun at least a couple dozen times.


No comments:

Post a Comment