Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Sublime - 40oz. to Freedom


★★★★★ Tracks:
5446 That’s My Number
Badfish
Let’s Go Get Stoned





As I stood there in the hallway, my Dixie cup full of beer freshly tapped and poured from the keg out back, I watched another twenty-something take at least a serving’s worth of beer through a funnel. “Badfish” began playing on Pandora and the room around me began to shift out of focus, as memories pushed themselves to the forefront. A friend's parents away for a weekend vacation leaving us teenagers alone for a few days; where the one of us that lost the rock-paper-scissors contest would have to go into the supermarket with our fake IDs and put the deposit down for a keg; where we would promptly invite our friends over and they would invite their friends over and they would invite their friends over; bong rips by the pool, keg-stands in the kitchen, all bathrooms occupied by porcelain-hugging fuck-ups, and then someone inevitably yelling from out front “5-0!”



“Ain’t got not time to get old
Lord knows I’m weak
Won’t somebody get me off of this reef”



“Hey...hey...hey! ...The keg is tapped."

I’m transported back to the hallway I was standing in. People are starting to pass out. The keg’s tapped. The party’s over.

"White Castle?" he continues.

I’m thirty now, not that invincible seventeen year old I used to be. It was fun while it lasted, but it’s just not quite the same. Neither is Sublime. Every now and then though, when the setting’s just right, “Badfish” sounds like one of the best fucking songs to have ever passed through those speakers.

"Sure."

No comments:

Post a Comment