Thursday, April 7, 2011

Thom Yorke - The Eraser


★★★★★ Tracks:
Black Swan







I’ll leave the Radiohead chat for the Radiohead post, but in a few words, while the group has made a ton of truly groundbreaking music, I don’t find most of their post-OK Computer albums to be all that listenable. Thom Yorke’s solo album turns out to be no different. The Eraser was sent to me by your typical Radiohead superfan, a good friend who told me I needed to give “Black Swan” and “Harrowdown Hill” a listen. “Harrowdown Hill” is decent and “Black Swan” is spectacular, the busiest track of the bunch with a simple, effective chorus (“This is fucked up / Fucked up”). But overall, just as I lose interest quickly with most of Radiohead’s electronic stuff, my attention wavers even more so here on The Eraser. Yorke’s voice is great as always but the songwriting isn’t immersive enough to distract me from the lack of instrumentation. My favorite Radiohead side project will most likely always be Jonny Greenwood’s score for There Will Be Blood. That shit is genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment