Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Alley Cats

“Puddin' 'n Tain” was The Alley Cats' only hit. Produced by Phil Spector in 1963 as a favor to future Mamas and Papas manager Lou Adler, the name's origin seemingly comes from an 1896 story “The King of Boyville,” by William Alan White:

When a new boy, who didn't belong to the school, came up at recess to play, Piggy shuffled over to him and asked him gruffly: "What's your name?" "Puddin' 'n' tame, ast me agin an' I'll tell you the same," said the new boy, and then there was a fight.


I have no idea what the hell that's supposed to mean, but I don't let that get in the way of my enjoyment of this song. Some of the best music can make you nostalgic for an era that you weren't even around for, and great doo-wop always makes me want to put on my flat cap and play stickball.

No comments:

Post a Comment